Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Virus over Friendster

Just recently, I was talking about malicious software intruding computer systems, but I forgot to mention about viruses spreading through social web sites. As most of you may have checked your Friendster account, you could have been a victim of the comment with a girl and a webcam. For those who are interested, they may have clicked the link, and probably downloaded more nasty, evil, malicious scripts or executables without them knowing it!


This is an example of how viruses, trojans and spywares can get into your computer... scary eh? There's Facebook, Tag, Multiply... (and what else??)... and it is up to the operators of these social websites to ensure the security and 'cleanliness' of their servers.

Will the antivirus and antispyware and antitrojan software suffice? This is hard to say, as my PC is currently being invaded by an advertising malware. It is not so serious, only popping up an ad occasionally, and my antivirus would have detected and eliminated it after that. But makes me wonder, is the virus still residing in my PC, or did it come from Facebook, my company webmail server, or a drive-by-download by one of the websites that I have visited?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do not get scammed. Try out https://www.fiverr.com/share/DQxmZy. Free service available